Tuesday, January 18, 2011

When I Was A Stupid Kid - Wile E. Tiffanny

When I Was A Stupid Kid, my understanding of physics was governed by the world of cartoon violence. Yes, you could fall a thousand feet, and not get killed.


Yet, I was no dummy, and if I were to fall, I would like it to be on a layer of soft, fluffy toilet paper, just in case. This judicious planning would offer me the thrill of falling safely, because I would then land gracefully with a delicate bounce on my tush at the end, toilet paper breaking my fall with a tender, white, hygienic caress.
As I looked over the edge of my perch, I was confident. This was no 1000-foot drop. This was a mere 2 feet. I could fall and bounce all day!! It would be so fun!!!
 WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
then...
then....
then...
And that is how I learned that cartoon physics do not apply to me, When I Was A Stupid Kid. (My coccyx hurt for a long time after that!)

Did you feel indestructible as a kid? How did you learn otherwise? Share your story! :)

Love,
Tiffanny

9 comments:

Joane said...

When I was little I thought that if it was windy enough and I held my umbrella out in the wind it would take me away. There were several times I stood on a tree stump in our backyard with my umbrella in hand, jumping off of the tree stump thinking the wind would whoosh me away. If the wind did take me away I never thought about how I would land. You never think about things like that when you're a kid.

Ted Blackman said...

This one is really funny, T.V.
The first panel is a great opener, setting the stage. The third panel is a nice POV that really emphasizes a child's dramatic imagination. Funny too. The lip tremble panel got me good, paving the way for the grand finally response which is just great story telling. Very Funny.. take a deep bow. -Ted

Ted Blackman said...

I meant FINALE.
Geez, I'm a moron sometimes.

tiffannysketchbook said...

Joane, what a cute story. I do recall jumping off of things with an umbrella to see if it would make a good parachute. I didn't.

One **DANGEROUS** thing I did was climb up top the roof and rappel down, just like I saw army guys do in TV. Well, I went HURTLING down because I didnt have gear. Just a rope. And I sure didn't have the upper body strength to ease myself down. About 3-4 feet off the ground the rope snapped. I landed on my feet and didn't die! Yay! I never tried it again.

Ted, you're hilarious. I knew what you meant 8) Thanks for your analysis. I've started reading a book on storytelling and boarding. I hope it will help me. 8) Until next time, my friend.

Malgorzata Arska said...

I love LOVE your stories !!!!!
:D

Mahesh Ashok Sutar said...

Amazing skills ...............good illustreation.....

Marcelo Vignali said...

Wonderful illustrations. I'm glad to know I'm not the only bonehead.

I learned that you can't jump out of a tree and do a belly flop into a pile of Autumn leaves. (Leaves, just as your toilet paper, have no resistance.)

Sadami said...

Dear Tiffany,
I really love this story and your watercolor!! I jumped from a roof with an umbrella ( what a coincidence I made it into a B&W cartoon and uploaded it for a new year's post!) We, all have imagination. Very sad if common sense and social norms take over children's creativitiy in grown-ups' minds. I secretly believe artists could be the people who will never forget children's hearts.
Cheers, Sadami

tiffannysketchbook said...

Marzolgata, myline... thank you :)

Marcelo.... OWW! We dont have autumn in the Philippines where I grew up, but if we did, the pile of leaves would have been the siren song that put me in a full body cast. Great story. :)

Sadami... Yes, the ability to express what's in one's heart though pictures has been an incredible joy. In the past, I tried drawing what other people want in order to get work. But it's more fun to draw what's in your heart, and it seems that people relate more to that. Unfortunately it still hasn't gotten me any work, but at least I know people are smiling or giggling because of my stories. Makes it more worthwhile.