Sunday, June 10, 2012

Artist Death Grip + San Antonio Wildlife Ranch + Figure Drawing Practice

Why take the time to draw from life when there's a billion photographs of animals and people? The main reason is that cameras flatten and distort pictures. It's impossible to see dimensionality with just one lens. You need two eyes to see depth. Your understanding of the forms are truly better when you draw from life. This comes in handy when you're doing actual animal design from imagination, which I do quite a bit at work. It's so freakin' hard though, the animals sure love to move.
showed my boss my drawings, and he said I was "bold" drawing with a pen. If only he knew, I'm a scared little girl when I draw, especially in public. But I overcome as best as I can. I don't doubt that my public audience understands the difficulty, so I really shouldn't be scared. My main audience are usually kids going "WOW SHES DRAWING THE __insert animal name here___", and let me tell you, children are brutally honest. They will tell you if you've failed.









 I got to practice my Artist Death Grip today.

target acquired....
 approaching target...
DEATHGRIP!!!!! target eliminated. I killed the poor llama.
Now me and the sheep can run away together, without pesky llama in the way. dude look at my boney ass chest. when did that happen. probably the other day when i turned into an old hag. (34th birthday)

ok here are some figure drawings from last week:



I guess that's about it.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

LOL@Old hag, you look like a teenager! Your artwork is amazing. These figure drawings are gorgeous!

Ted Blackman said...

OMG! 34 years old! Get that ol' woman a walker!!

Please... you look very youthful and in GREAT shape. Shut up.

Irene said...

It's time to get the "I've fallen and can't get up" button to hang around your neck! Puhleese! I agree with Ted. You are so young and look even younger.

Mauricio Abril said...

LOL, yes animal drawing in public is always an experience and you're so right about the little kids. They'll just say whatever's on their mind. But your pen drawings and especially gestures are great, and I know how intimidating it could be, so I also commend you for that!

Shirley said...

I love your sketches, Tiffanny! Always wonderful work and I get such a kick out of that death grip! : )