Monday, January 3, 2011

This Week's Still Life - I hate pineapples

So I'm still plugging away at the oil painting. Sometimes feels like I'm painting with my left hand (I'm right-handed). Still getting used to things. I learned that Mars Black is better than Ivory Black for alla prima. Trying different approaches. My friend and I painted this pineapple. We both agreed it was an excruciating experience. Pineapples are hard!! This is the second attempt at Mr. Pineapple. Attempt #1 is too embarrassing to show. I mean, really embarrassing. We had a hearty laugh. Curse you pineapple!!!!!!

8 comments:

Ted Blackman said...

Yeah, pineapples are a bitch to paint, but you nailed that apple. Making me hungry. Nice overall tone to this painting, I believe they called it 'local color' in art school.

martinealison said...

Effectivement l'ananas n'est pas le fruit par excellence le pus simple à travailler mais vous l'avez bien réussi. Bravo!
Bises

Unknown said...

Hahahaha I admire you for trying at all! I WOULD SO NOT. Pineapples are hard to draw, so I can only imagine, AND IN OIL!

TMBritton said...

Hey, that's a lot better than the previous oils I've seen from you. Now that I'm back in Austin and the holiday bullshit is over, I should join you guys.

tiffannysketchbook said...

Tom, yeah, I guess something carried over from watercolor. Weird huh? I would be delighted for you join us for still life sessions :D we need more funny people to enliven things!

brianleepainter said...

love the temperatures reflected off of the pineapple

WC Lee said...

This is a wonderful painting, it doesn't seem like you are having any problems painting with oils.

Sadami said...

Good on ye, Tiffanny!!
I've never tried a pineapples and do not like still life. Above, all, before drawing it, I eat
it up. You're amazing. I forgot how to do it in oil!
Cheers, Sadami